Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Michaelmas Week

Brave and bold I will be, golden light shines bright in me.
 
This past Saturday was the feast day of St. Michael the arch angel, also known as Michaelmas.  This is a big holiday in the Church, and also in Waldorf schools.  For Christians it is a time to reflect on how God and His chosen ones fight the evil one, and the evil on earth.  Waldorf education focuses on being courageous and brave, tackling dragons in our own life, as the seasons shift into Autumn.  We celebrate all aspects of this spiritual day. 
 
Actually, truth  be told, this is the first year I have really worked hard to celebrate Michaelmas with my family.  Usually I don't think about it, and then I am sad that I forgot.  This year friends of ours were married on St. Michael's feast day, depending on the power of St. Michael and the angels to strengthen and deepen their love.  It was a beautiful way to celebrate with a high mass and a lovely reception, on a cool autumn night beneath the stars.  Because I was sick-ish last week and lost my voice for half of the week, I have declared this week as "Michaelmastide" and we have been slaying dragons and beseeching the power of the angels to protect us from the wicked dragon.

 We decorated with dragons and knights.  We have told many stories about St. Michael and St. George, including the story of St. Michael and the star children. (which is our favorite!).  I am hoping to do a few more things before our week comes to an end, but we will see. Today is Isabel's birthday and I decided to skip doing school today due to the other festivities at hand.
 We also made dragon bread, for the first time ever! Not too bad for a first go!
 I made this wonderful dragon from the pattern at Rhythm of the Home.  He was quite easy and turned out very sweet... and of course fierce and frightening!  ;)  I also pinned a bunch of other Michaelmas ideas on my Autumn Pinterest  board.  Do any of you celebrate Michaelmas also? 
"Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host -
by the Divine Power of God -
cast into hell, satan and all the evil spirits,
who roam throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen"
 
 
May God clothe you with courage and light to defeat all the dragons in your life.

No comments: