Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Just Beachy

We had a splendid time at the beach last week. Most unfortunately it was gray and rainy most of the time. We stopped at the Norfolk Botanical Gardens on our way out, for our little bit of sunshine before the rain:I consider these gardens to be one of the best kept secrets in Virginia... especially because they are 30 minutes from Virginia beach and seem relatively untouched. They had an awesome butterfly exhibit where both girls enjoyed watching the butterflies. The butterflies liked the flowers on Anastasia's shirt but Anastasia screamed histerically when they came flying at her! I feel horrible that she has this phobia of bugs... and I don't know why! We also enjoyed the "World of Wonder" children's garden where Isabel got to be a butterfly:And we all enjoyed cooling off in the fountains! They have such a nice children's garden!!My mom got us a nice hotel room right on the Chesapeake bay but as soon as we checked in, it started raining, and then storming! The rain didn't stop the next day, but during a drizzle, we finally went out and enjoyed the beach a little. The wet sand made for excellent sand castle building. Anastasia really liked the sand and I helped her build a castle for her fairies:And by-the-way, the pink fairy picture above is named "Clare"! How great is that? She happens to be the hero fairy who always tells all the other fairies "no" but always saves the day! I think I should be flattered. Anastasia just started imaginary play and I LOVE IT! I am constantly amused at the adventures of her gaggle of fairies and the dilemmas that "Clare" gets them out of. Usually they jump in their beds and bump their heads, and Clare calls the doctor and makes everything better. Kids are just so darn cute! After some sand castle building, we went found an AWESOME consignment store (because that is what I do at the beach in the rain lol) and went to the Virginia Aquarium where we saw sea turtles, otters and got to pet some stingrays. It was, in Anastasia's words, "cool!" By the end of the second day, the sun peaked out of the clouds a bit and we enjoyed a few hours on the beach at sunset. It was every bit of wonderful that the beach is supposed to be. Sand between the toes, the setting sun, seashell hunting, and just breathing in that salty sea air. *sigh*
Anastasia found a dead crab on the beach, and felt she needed to "bury" it in sand.
Every summer on the very first warm day, I always feel like the sea is calling me... and I just want to be laying in the sand, under the sun with the waves lapping my feet. My mom instilled in me a deep love for nature, and especially the beach... and I am already wishing I could go back...


I am so glad my mom and I get to share the ocean and all its treasures with my own children.

No comments: