Friday, September 23, 2011

Autumn Jumpers with Tutorial

Over the weekend I finished some fall jumpers for the girls. I found some cute corduroy at Joann's and had to make jumpers. I only had 1 1/4 yards, so I added a few other hues of corduroy.I am very happy with them overall, and may add some ric-rac to the bottom to seperate the two corduroys. It was very easy and while I began with using a pattern, I changed my mind and did my own thing.Here is a mini-tutorial in case you want to make your own. You will need about 3/4 yard of corduroy for a size 4T, 2 inches of thin elastic (I used child's hair ties), and buttons. And sorry about the irregular spacing in this post. I can't seem to fix it.1. First cut 8 Rectangles (sized 4t with a little room to spare):

2 Bodice + 2 bodice lining 13 1/2 inches for 5T Give/take 1/2 inch per size difference.

2 straps 10" long by 3 1/2 inches wide (adjust as needed)

2 skirt pieces totalling 20" (or desired length) x width of fabric (42") The bulk of my skirt was 14inches and the bottom was 6 inches. You could do the entire thing in one fabric and make one cut. Its totally up to you.






















1. Add applique or trim to front bodice if you want.








2. Make straps. (I usually press the stap piece in half, and press the raw edges under and sew. Make sure one end is finished.)








3. Sew back and front bodice pieces together at one side seam. Do the same for linings.








4. Pin straps to back side of dress along the top edge (if you didn't add detail to the front, than either side can be the back). I pinned mine about 3 inches from the open side and the other 3inches from the seam side. Are you still with me? Make sure the raw edge is sticking out and sew lining to bodice along the top seam with right sides together.








5. Choose a side to be the button side and the other to be the elastic side:




















6. I used hair ties cut into small pieces as elastic loops to hook around the buttons. Sew two in place along the side a half inch from top and 1 inch from the bottom. Sew other end of bodice right sides together.








7. Sew skirt top and bottom together (skip if you only have one skirt piece)








8. Sew skirt together at side seam leaving 3 inches open. finish the open edges by folding raw edge under 1/4 inch and sew it.








9. Gather skirt.








10. Pin evenly along the bodice.








11. Sew skirt to bodice.








12. Hem skirt.








13. Add button holes to front and add buttons to straps and side.








14. Put cute jumper on cute child and take 100 pictures of your handiwork!!! :) You are done.








Hope that helps someone, and makes sense! I should have taken more pictures! Sorry. Let me know if you have any questions and best of luck!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Hi! You are the 2nd winner of the "old time" giveaway on my blog, Chasing Cheerios! You can choose between a mob cap and apron or a Paul Revere shirt. Please send me your choice and your mailing address ASAP at chasingcheerios@gmail.com. Thanks!