Friday, July 15, 2011

Song for a Fifth Child



(this picture was months ago, taken by my good friend Andrea.)


Song For a Fifth Child


by Ruth Hubert Hamilton


Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth,

Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,

Hang out the washing and butter the bread,

Sew on a button and make up the bed.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?

She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.


Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,

(Lullaby, Rockaby, lullaby, loo.)
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due,

(Pat-a-Cake, darling and peek, peekaboo).

And out in the yard there is hullabaloo.

But I'm playing kanga and this is my Roo.

Look aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?

(Lullaby, Rockaby, lullaby loo)


The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,

But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.

So quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep,

I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

********************************************
I guess this song works for the third child too... and brings tears to my eyes at the shortness of time. I think I will go snuggle my baby a bit more...

peek peekaboo, lullaby,rockabye, lullaby loo.

No comments: