Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Flower Fairies


Is it not really adorable how obsessed toddlers are about things? My mom bought Anastasia a set of plastic fairies made by Step 2 that she LOVES. She sometimes calls them fairies, sometimes calls them Marys but either way they go on most adventures with us. Her obsession with these fairies, and fairies in general has lead me to a little research on Cicely Mary Barker who is the illustrator of the famous Flower Fairies like the one pictured above. She was born in 1895 and over 100 years after her birth, her imagination lives on in the hearts of children everywhere. Her story is very endearing as she had epilepsy, was homeschooled and she was immensly talented. Her father died when she was 17 and her artwork helped her family survive rough times. She also had a noteworthy faith in God. Her artwork outlasted the changing seasons and fads and I hope my great grandchildren are as captivated by her sweet drawings as I am. I do believe in Fairies. I do.

1 comment:

Nick-dog said...

I have a G17 to help my family survive during rough times.

Yours Truly.

--Nicholas