Tuesday, November 10, 2009

knittin' and a kitten

I have been feeling very overwhelmed lately. Isabel is very needy. Very, very, very needy. She wants to be on the go everyday. At home she wants to be held and played with 80 % of the day (she naps for the other 20%). It has been so hard for me, as Anastasia is little Miss Independant and has been since she took her first step. So this is uncharted territory in the parenting realm. It leaves no time for crafting, little time for me. But I know they will grow up fast, and I will be stuck knitting and quilting all day just to keep from being bored. ha. Isn't the greatest irony in life that the grass is always greener on the other side? It takes getting to the other side to realize how green your grass really was. lol. Don't get me wrong, I love all the snuggles, and I LOVE being a mom of 2, I just feel like I am constantly climbing mountains of cleaning, dishes and laundry and walking through valleys of whining and fussing. So I started knitting again. I think I am at a point in my life that I need a long, mindless craft to fill the tiny spaces of breathing room I get. I wanted to make the girls matching hats with bear or cat ears... I haven't decided yet. I like bear ears for the cute factor, but I want Anastasia to wear hers ALL THE TIME... so maybe I will let her pick. Cats are really the "IN" thing around here. I love our cat, Ally O'Mally. He seems to find the nicest spots in the house to curl up and nap. He loves the woodstove and has a nice little hiding place right behind it where the kids can't get him, and he is so cozy and warm finding little spots of sunlight to bask in.

Yesterday I cleaned Anastasia's room and made her bed, and she excitedly exclaimed, "Mommy! Thank you for making my bed, it looks SOOOO great!" She then proceeded to jump on it. The obviouse thing to do on a freshly made bed. I love how toddlers and cats know not to take anything to seriously. I always think our children are a gift from God to teach us just that. To love life, and to have fun when and as much as you can. To not stress the small things because laundry folded in drawers is highly overrated and clean dishes are not as neccissary as they might seem. Carrot sticks and cereal make a good meal. Yes children are awesome. Even when we go crazy raising them. And this verse is very meaningful to me:

"Remind us that our days are numbered, that we may have wisdom of heart." -Psalm 90:12


Country Life said...

Hi Clare!

Hang in there! She won't always be needy, and they do grow up fast. I have a 16 y.o. daughter that seemingly has grown up overnight and my youngest is 2. A very, very needy 2 y.o. little boy. When I get frustrated that I can't do (insert anything here...sewing, etc.) I try to think about how my oldest has grown up so quickly and will leave home sooner than I am ready for. It doesn't last forever, it just seems like it sometimes. :0)


Clare said...

Thanks for the reminder of how short these days really are. I try to savor them as much as I can! But like I said, its not always easy. :) Thanks for the encouragement though!