Friday, October 17, 2008

Our first outing

Everyone fell asleep and I am in my pjs, with a glass of Spanish wine and a delectable brownie so I figured I would write a quick blog post.

I had my first experience taking the girls out alone. I was supposed to have Isabel at her first doctors appointment at 9:30am. I woke up at 8:00 and by the time everyone was diapered, dressed, fed, in their seats and on the road, it was 9:15. The doctor I go to is 30 minutes away so I knew I would be drastically late. Especially since I was supposed to be there a little early to fill out paperwork. So I called and asked if I should still come or reschedule. When I was asked to reschedule due to the doctor's heavy schedule I felt defeated. I had failed at my first attempt to go somewhere as a threesome. Then I decided to stop at Target for some eggs and cheese and a few other odds and ends. I found some nice headbands in the dollar section and some halloween bows for Anastasia. I felt much better... so good I didn't give in to the in-store Starbucks calling me for an ultra sweet and fattening comfort beverage. I felt so proud passing up that Pumpkin Spice Latte... and was reminded that this trip was far more successful than my first outing with Anastasia alone.

I took her to Target and tried to feed her in a public restroom due to my fear of nursing in public (I overcame this fear pretty quickly) which was far less than ideal. I had a successful trip and then locked my purse, phone and keys in the Jeep!!! Thankfully I didn't lock Anastasia in the Jeep too (atleast not that time) and I had to use the courtesy phone at Target and call Nick at his work number because his cell was long distance. I was so happy that he answered (I usually got his answering machine) and happened to work right around the corner. He came over with a coat hanger and took a long time (much to my dismay) unlocking the Jeep in the cold of January while I sat in his car with baby Anastasia. I felt like such a uncapable mom... but have overcome that as well. Its amazing what being a mom teaches you. Its always somewhat overwhelming at first but I imagine I will find the balance of mothering two eventually.

No comments: