Friday, September 25, 2009

Pizza Friday!

I love pizza. Every Friday I make pizza for dinner. Cheap, easy and delicious. 2 people within the past 2 days have asked for my supremely good pizza crust recipe so I thought I would share. Pizza is awesome because you can use up all those veggies that often overstay their welcome in your fridge... if you know what I mean. Peppers that start to grow crinkly, onions that start to get soggy... you get the picture. My favorite store bought sauce is Rinaldi's original sauce. Yum. I have made my own, and bought the fancy organic stuff, and we love Rinaldi the most. But you use your favorite! Here is the recipe:

Yields 2 pizzas:

Combine in large bowl:

2 c. warm water
2 T (or 2 packets) of yeast
2 tsp. sugar

Let stand 10 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Add to yeast mixture:

5 c. flour
2 tsp. salt
4 T olive oil

Let rest 5 minutes.
Mix together in small bowl:

2 T olive oil
4 cloves garlic

Sprinkle 2 pizza pans with cornmeal, and spread out dough with olive oil-covered hands. Brush on garlic mixture to make spreading easier.
Place crusts in oven for 8 minutes and prepare desired toppings while crusts bake.
Pull out crusts, and increase temperature to 450 degrees.
Add toppings (sauce, cheese, etc) and bake an additional 10 minutes or more until crust is golden brown and the cheese starts to bubble.

Slice and enjoy! You will be glad you didn't get delivery.

2 comments:

Annie Hatke Schap said...

I made it tonight, Clare! And it tasted great, even though I didn't cook it long enough. I almost called you while I was making it for some more specific directions, but I guess I did it right... although I used all the dough for one pizza.

Clare said...

You should have called me! I would have been glad to help! I have never made one HUGE pizza... usually I make 1 medium and 1 small pizza. I usually cook it until it gets really nice and bubbly on top and really golden brown around the crust. Glad you liked it!