Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Hearts For Haiti

It is heartbreaking what has happened in Haiti. I have been to a part of Haiti owned by a cruise line that I was on and it was completely beautiful and devastatingly poor. The people were happy and bright despite their circumstances. Tourism was their only source of income. People everywhere are trying to help. I found this lovely Etsy shop called Hearts for Haiti where you can donate items to sell, or buy and all the proceeds go to Doctors Without Borders. I don't know everything about the Doctors Without Borders organization, but it seems to be doing a very good job helping the Haitians in need. I am hopefully going to have some "Sweetheart Gnomes" up in the Hearts for Haiti shop this week sometime. I like that I don't have to have money to donate something that will make a small difference. I encourage anyone with an Etsy shop to look into donating to this great cause. :)

Also, I was at the grocery store yesterday and they asked me to donate $1 to the American Red Cross for relief in Haiti. This angers me a bit, because they are a great corporation, and I would be happy to donate it they offered to match my donation DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR. That always bothers me when they ask me to make a donation without owning up to making one themselves.

I finally got the Christmas tree and decorations down today and will probably still be finding pine needles to sweep next Christmas. They are everywhere! I know I am a little slow on getting the decorations down... I have just been so busy, and I love Christmas! But someone is turning 3 in a week and I have garland to hang and paper mushrooms to make! And the tree was getting a little dried out anyway so it is time to move on, and start getting ready for next Christmas! lol. If I start now maybe I will have all my ducks in a row by Christmas eve!!! Haha, actually probably not. Life with toddlers is unpredictable and busy, exciting and crazy, and trying my patience at every corner. And I love being a mom... most days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get really annoyed at the grocery store too....then feel guilty as if I should just give them $ whenever they ask...I guess it is all meant well though....

Clare said...

Haha, yeah, I guess I feel like if they are asking us to donate they should be donating a nice portion too. Maybe they do, and just need to advertise better. :)