Friday, January 22, 2010

"Some poor little person is shaking with fear,
that he'll blow in the pool! He has no way to steer!
I'll just have to save him because after all,
a person's a person no matter how small."

-from Horton Hears A Who by Dr. Seuss.

You can tip toe around reality all you want... but to deny the pre-born are "persons" is to reject the beautiful complexities that constitute our humanity. My children had quite personalities in-womb that were very pronounced at birth and have only blossomed since. Shortly after Isabel was born, a friend I knew grewing up lost her baby at 9 months pregnant. It occured to me how unfair it is that a mother's love alone gives a person, in womb any sort of rights. I try not to think about it too much, because there is only so much my heart can bear... but I kiss my children a few extra times today and thank God I wanted and needed my girls. And they have made me a better, more creative, sensative and loving person than I ever knew possible.

No comments: