Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Recipe: Blueberry French Toast Bake

My mom has been making yummy French Toast Bake for years and I LOVE it. I made my very first batch this weekend and it was even better than my mom made it... So I decided to share the recipe! Its awesome because you can make it the night before and pop it in the oven in the morning.
Ingredients:
1 loaf of french bread (other bread works too)--cut into 1" cubes
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1 package of cream cheese cut into cubes
8 eggs
1 3/4 cup of milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon (or more to taste)
REAL maple syrup
1. Beat eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon together.
2. Place half the french bread, half the blueberries and half the cream cheese in a 9x13" casserole dish and drizzle half the egg and milk mixture on top.
3. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients and place in fridge overnight (this is entirely optional, but comes out awesome!) Optional: drizzle with 1/4 cup maple syrup.
4. Bake covered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, uncover and bake another 30 minutes. I have baked mine uncovered at 375 degrees for 30 minutes and it came out fine (a little crispy on top). Serve with maple syrup or whipped cream!

This is great because it makes SO MUCH! You could also skip the cream cheese and blueberries on part or all of this for picky eaters. Blueberries are what we have always used but I look forward to trying this with blackberries as there are quite a few ripening in our patch.

No comments: