Monday, June 9, 2008

the Sickling

Anastasia has never been sick before (with the accept ion of a minor cold) so maybe that is why seeing her so ill caused me to overreact. She started with diarrhea on Friday night and woke up at 4am on Sunday with a fever. I gave her ibuprofen and she seemed okay by 10am when she finally woke up. She was very lethargic during church and when Nick handed her to me she was on fire. That's when I saw it... a little brown tick nestled behind and under her ear. I freaked out... ran her to the restroom ripped the thing off and flushed it away. I went back to my pew and started playing through worst case scenarios in my mind and I began to cry. I told Nick about the tick and we left with his parents to the ER. We had the option of treating her with antibiotics as though she had Lyme disease or to treat her 103.6 degree fever with Motrin and test her for Lyme in a couple months when it would be detectable. We chose the antibiotic route... just in case of Lyme or any other kind of infection the tick might have caused. If the tick and her illness are actually related or not we may never know. It still really scared me.

Besides that drama, we enjoyed the weekend with Nick's family. I found a really nice farmers market in Middletown, went shopping in Leesburg and now I have running water thanks to Nick and his dad. Washing dishes and doing laundry never seemed so luxurious. I hope to post some pictures soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Poor little one! Is she feeling better now?

Annie Hatke Schap said...

How scary!!!! Ticks are nasty. Concerning your other post: your peg people are the cutest things EVER. What kind of things did you give Anastasia to play with when she was, say, 7 months old? Or what kind of things did you make for her? I'm needing ideas.

Clare said...

Bridget-Anastasia keeps getting really high fevers that go away with some ibuprophen. So in between the fevers she seems to feel alright. If she doesn't improve I finally found a doctor.

Annie-Thanks! I can't remember what Anastasia played with at 7 months! She liked kitchen utensils, mirrors, balls and books. I made her stuffed animals she never really liked. lol. I imagine soft blocks that she could easily hold with different textured/colored fabrics would be a hit! I definately want to make some of those for #2. A fabric doll might be a hit too. Babies love smiling faces. I will let you know if I think of anything else!

Wife of a Soldier said...

Wow! That's so scary! I would've done the same thing. I'm glad she's ok!

~~~

I love the little wooden people. Did you use acrylic paints? And what size are the pegs? (ie are they something she can currently play with or that you are saving for later?)

God Bless! :Laura: