Sunday, May 23, 2010

Box-O-Mermaids

Our mermaids didn't have a home. The dollhouse was a bit to dry, and as the bathroom hasn't been installed yet, there was no tub for them to refresh in. I really wanted to make a little box for our travels, and this is what I came up with! The Box-O-Mermaids! The outside is just decoupaged on the front and back, with some mermaids that were actually a print out of an image of Heather Ross' Merdicino Mermaid fabric. I would have bought and used her fabric, except it is discontinued now *sigh* and is too pricey.
I painted the inside with acrylic paints that I had on hand, and glued a flower cut-out from Michaels to the box as a little shelf for the mermaids to sit on. The bottom was painted with yellows and brown and sprinkled with sand and glitter. I also added a little pack of seashells that I picked up for 99cents. So the total for the project was Box: $1.80 (with 40% coupon) + shells: $.99 + flower cutout .59 = $3.38 (plus tax, paint, glue, pebbles and mermaids). The pebbles are glued on... they can be a magic pebble garden or a little bubble pool!
I had to glue some ribbon to the sides to help the back stay upright, and I admit, I am a little worried about how structurally sound the flower and ribbons actually are! Only time will tell I guess. I finished 2 new mermaids as well! The one on the left has green sea-weed highlights and I am slightly envious! :) I am so happy with how it turned out, and while Anastasia already pulled it out before I woke up this morning, I finished it a bit, and it is hidden with the mermaids until our trip. I may add some little ocean animals as well. I hope it makes a nice little sea wonderland for our trip this week!
And now, I want to make some furniture!! Any ideas?? I am thinking of some kind of seaweed bed... and I am hoping to score some more interesting shells this week at the beach. Hope you like it, and it really wasn't too difficult, so try it yourself! :) I wish I had one to play with when I was little! lol. Heck, I might play with it now!
Nick is working today, and I am cleaning my craft room, so it is kind of a lame Sunday. Actually, it feels like Monday. And the worst part is, tomorrow is Monday all over again!! But the plan is to shop, bake and sew until our hearts are content, so it can't be THAT bad. Can it?

3 comments:

kitty emma. said...

Aw, they are so gorgeous. :)

Clare said...

Thank you so much! :) Glad you like them!

My daughter is in love with Snow White! :)

JoAnna said...

Oh Clare!