Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Work In Progress...


I have been meaning to make a waldorf style doll for a while and am finally getting around to it! My plan was to make it for Isabel's birthday which isn't until October, but it is going a little smoother than I planned. It is a slow process with a lot of sewing and undoing, and resewing. I am pretty happy thus far, except now that I am looking at my picture, her eyes are a quite uneven! Ugh. I re-did the eye on the right twice already... I think it is the left eye's turn!
Here are some tutorials I am using:
For the head I used Moonchild Studio's Tutorial. For the rest I found THIS flickr set. And SilverPenny's directions have proved somewhat helpful as well.
And I bought all the supplies from Weir Crafts. I really like how soft and sturdy the knit interlock feels! I had thought of using a white t-shirt, and dyeing it with tea or something... but I will just say, paying the extra for the actual doll making interlock is worth it. It really is lovely. Also, I have never stuffed anything with wool before, and I am thinking I won't stuff anything with anything else from now on! Its magical stuff! I haven't bought the yarn for the hair yet, and as I plan on making a crocheted cap I am a bit afraid to get to that step since I can't really crochet! Yikes! Oh well, I will post some inspirational doll photos later....
My pizza dough is waiting!

2 comments:

Annie Hatke Schap said...

So great, Clare! Way better than mine. In fact, after seeing this post, mine (which is still in pieces in my "current projects" bag [overflowing]) might just end up in the trash. lol!

I considered buying the supplies form the same place, and then went the el cheapo route with using tshirt and bamboo stuffing I already had. I think it would be an easier project with the right stuff.

P.S. Have you seen this month's Mothering? All about cloth diapers and including a bit about EC method!

Clare said...

Thanks Annie!! Please don't toss your doll because of me!!! I will feel terrible forever!

The right stuff is REALLY worth it. The cotton interlock skin is much thicker than a t-shirt, and has a very tight knit making it really, really easy to use. Atleast buy that, and the wool stuffing and it will be much, much easier.

I have not seen this months Mothering magazine... but now I really want it!!